Modern, Classic, Country or Eclectic? Take this quick quiz and find out!
1. How would you describe your personality?
a) I'm a minimalist — less is definitely more.
b) I'm refined and don't like to follow trends.
c) I'm casual and relaxed.
d) I'm a risk taker.
2. In my closet, you'll find
a) Anything by Alexander McQueen
b) Lots of twin sweater sets
c) Faded jeans, cowboy boots and more denim
d) Anything vintage mixed with the latest fad
3. What would be your fantasy home?
a) A sleek loft space
b) A Georgian home
c) A converted barn
d) A Spartan trailer
4. What is your most coveted piece of furniture?
a) An Eames La Chaise chair
b) A Louis Seize oval-back chair
c) Your grandmother's old painted cupboard
d) A Ms. Pacman videogame cocktail table
5. On my bedroom window sill you will find:
a) A neatly stacked pile of art books
b) A Roman-style urn on each side of the window
c) A row of old jelly jars
d) Vintage miniature toys
6. If you could redesign your kitchen from scratch, it would have:
a) Industrial stainless steel countertops
b) Wall-to-wall dark wood cabinets
c) Open shelves so everything is within reach
d) A neon 1950s diner sign
If you answered "a" most often then your style is modern:
• Clean lines, geometric shapes
• No clutter
• Less is definitely more.
• Stay away from patterns.
• Materials: glass, wood, stone, plastics
• Wood: dark or light, but little ornamentation
• Metals: polished chrome, stainless steel
If you answered "b" most often then your style is classic:
• Symmetry and balance
• Pairs of things
• Furniture with a European influence, formal not fancy
• Bold, historical colors
• Restrained formality
• Dark woods with carved detail
If you answered "c" most often then your style is country:
• Casual, relaxed and comfortable
• Distressed furniture, painted finishes
• Plaids, floral, stripes and prints
• Pieces in leather and hide
• Inexpensive accessories such as jars and books
If you answered "d" most often then your style is eclectic:
• Risk taker
• Mix different periods of furniture.
• Anything goes.
• Find furniture in design stores, junk stores and flea markets.
• Create cohesion with color and repetition.
• Spirited, playful, artsy and trendy
If you had answers in several categories, you might have a combination style. I would describe my style as both classic and modern. Whichever design style you choose to furnish your home, don't forget to have fun with colors, shape and texture!
Marie Burgos/ Manoblue Design